Thursday, 19 February 2015

Performance

On the whole i am extremely happy with my performance and my rehearsal ettiquette and everything that this task challenged me to do. I believe that my duet in the exhibition was effective and portrayed the message we intended it to. I heard a lot of reactions from the audience & whether they were good or bad, it still created a reaction which is what me, Mateus and Oscar wanted. I think it was a thoughtful piece which really got our message across in an artistic, creative and original way.

Looking back at our rehearsal period I think, our group (Sarah's group) as a whole, worked really well together. We all listened well, took direction, and worked off one another as an ensemble very well.  I believe one of the reasons the performance was such a success is the fact our peice had been devised early on so we had time to develop, polish and rehearse. This way we all felt confident with what we was performing and didnt feel nervous that anything would go wrong or that we would forget anything as we had rehearsed it enough times. Personally, I feel i was actively listening throughout the rehearsal process and therefore listened to direction to enable i was performing the right way for this context and portraying the different emotions and actions we were to perform.

I think we created a really thought provoking piece that was intriguing and enjoyable. Despite the audience not necessarilly understanding the narrative, they definatly would have understood the theme and i think that on its own can make a big impact, but this only allowed there to be more room for discussion and interpretation but due to the piece being experimental, it is good that the audience had to do some discovery work themeselves.
However, i do think that the safety of the audience members was at risk during our performance, despite us moving audience members I still think there was a good chance that one of our audience/cast members could have got hurt especially during the 'Holding On' mother/daughter segment. But I do believe we tried our very best to get them in a safe proxemity so they would not get hurt.
I found this performance physically and mentally demanding. The fact that we were performing at 3 different times on the same night really tested us. It really put 'Cost of the Actor' into action as we knew that however tired we was, we could not stop, we knew that the show must go on and we must persevere if we wanted a successful performance.

This performance really did challenge me and it taught me how being at one with your own thoughts before going on stage is so important. For me, it is imperative i am in the right frame of mind before going on stage, i cannot be having a conversation with anyone else or allow myself to have my mind in a different place. For me to be happy with my performance and emotionally and physically 'in it' I need to prepare myself, by myself before going on stage. If i don't, my performance will lack truth, energy and committment and i think that was shown in some moments of my performances. 

In the final segmant of the Cabinet of Curiosity (the whole year 12 theatre strand) I felt quite confused and a little nervous about what exactly we was doing. I knew what i was meant to be doing physically but mentally i didn't know where it was meant to be at. I like how it brought ALL the cabinet of curiositys cast together as one but I didnt really understand the meaning of doing what we was doing. Which in some ways, didnt matter as it is experimental, but it is in my nature to know why i'm doing something, what my objectives are, especially with acting but experimental has taken me away from that slightly which in some ways i liked as it is fresh, exciting and not something i have studied before but definatly without a doubt, took me out of my comfort zone! (Which i am really quite happy about!)

No comments:

Post a Comment